Here are some tips you may not have thought of to help alleviate that pain in the neck.
1) Breathe into your belly - take long deep breaths that fully expand into your belly and low back. Do this until you feel your muscles becoming more oxygenated. They might feel tingly or slightly heavy. Tingly is good, but not so much that you pass out (this would not be very stress reducing) the heavyness is perfect! (It's kinda like that tummy tickle tingly feeling) This is one of the best ways to reduce stress and alleviate neck pain.
2) Close your eyes for a moment or two. See your shoulders as being relaxed. Unwrap them from around your ears and release your stress.
At work and not able to close your eyes at your desk? Sneak off to the restroom and close your eyes for a moment or two. Closing your eyes helps to shift your perspective and (if you are good at visualization) visualize pressure and tension leaving your body.
3) Roll your shoulders forward and backward...lift them up and allow them to drop. While you are dropping your shoulders relax your jaw too. Let your jaw hang softly while you are dropping your shoulders. Allowing your shoulders to drop can be rough at first but I have confidence that you will retrain your body to do so with ease.
Lift your shoulders to your ears. Hold in that position for a moment then let (this is key) them drop. They might bounce just a little bit, repeat this process 4-5 more times. Release your jaw too!
4) Posture matters when it comes to shoulder aches and pains. Keep your spine upright with your head centered on the top of your spine. No leaning forward.
5) Monthly or weekly massage is a wonderful way to reduce stress and ease your shoulder pain. Give me call or email and we will set up your appointment.
6) Drink enough water.
My suggestion for the best amount of water to drink on a daily basis, especially to help your neck pain ... Take your body weight, divide that in half, take that amount and put into ounces. Drink that amount, daily.
You might try adding trace minerals to your water also.
Our bodies need water to work properly ... help ease your neck pain.
Daily, allow your head to gently move from side to side and front to back. Light gentle stretches help to relax the muscles in your neck.
8) Sitting at a desk too long?
The forward posture of your head has cut off some vital nutrients to your spinal cord, brain, vertebrae, muscles and nerves.
Take a minute or two to reverse this process. (I know your boss will appreciate your added productivity by taking care of yourself.) Gently, and slowly bend your neck and head back in the opposite direction. Allow it become soft in this position. 30 - 60 seconds of doing this stretch will help with that neck pain.
9) Essential Oils to help with neck pain
1-2 drops of these mixed with 1 oz of jojoba or coconut oil applied to your sore neck 2-3 times per day, and Bob's your Uncle, your neck pain is gone!
Here's to your fabulous day :)
If you would like a bit more guidance with dropping your shoulders, get in touch with me. I'm happy to see you in my boutique or set up a skype call.
Comment and share this too.